Forum

Forum

1991 Detroit (fire your guns)

RiffRaf
Member #20,850

Num Posts: 2

Hi,

can anyone confirm the date/venue of "fire your guns- live at joe Louis arena, Detroit 1991"

I bought this one 23 years ago, just a few weeks before the official AC/DC Live was released, believing it was the actual release. I was still in my teens then and didn't know what a bootleg was. I remember the guy in the store warning me about it that it is recorded during a show, and I just thought 'Duh! That's the whole point of a live recording!'

What a disappointment when I got home... 

Anyway, so many years later and with the advent of Internet, I can appreciate bootlegs for their historical value, especially for less documented tours. Before trading, I wanted to verify the exact show date and it seems AC/DC didn't even play at that venue in 1990/1991.  Before I start feeling ripped off again, I hope you guys can clarify.

cheers!

Riff Raf

travishayes89
Member #8,722

Num Posts: 1,131

I believe the one you have is the Auburn Hills show.

Does this sound like your bootleg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkKa9U7PqeM

The Concert History on this site has the Auburn Hills concert listed.

Oh yeah, Auburn Hills is very close to Detroit and is technically the location of the home arena of a few "Detroit" teams in the Palace of Auburn Hills.

RnRDamnation
Member #254

Num Posts: 798

I had almost the exact same experience, RifRaf. I had bought a few boots on cassette before and their sound quality varied from middling to almost acceptable (but the performances were awesome - I'm looking at you London 1979!), but thought to myself, "Awesome - this is on CD so it's going to sound great and it has Jailbreak - even better!"

Of course, the sound quality on that one was as if someone had recorded it standing outside of the arena (which maybe they had), so I ended up plunking down something like $50 CAD for the worst-sounding boot in all of AC/DC's bootleg history. And then Live came out not long after and it sounded great, apart from the non-stop fade-ins and fade-outs and the odd decision to include For Those About To Rock from an arena recording in Edmonton, Alberta rather than the big fucking show at Donington or Moscow.

All is right with the world now, though, as I just listen to the DVD rip of Live at Donington and hope that they will someday release the complete mind-blowing Moscow show on DVD and/or audio.

RiffRaf
Member #20,850

Num Posts: 2

thanks @travishayes89, that's indeed matching; even the small hick-up in Angus' intro just before the vocals enter.

Still leaves me wondering which exact show it is, since they played Auburn Hills 3 times during the Razors edge tour:  11/24/1990 (most likely) or 1/9/1991 or 7/02/1991 ?

@RnRDamnation: probably you already knew, but just in case:  "Plug me In" contains all 4 official released video clips from Monsters of Rock in Moscow (which aired on MTV in 1991 on" AC/DC Sunday" as well, with introductions by Angus an Brian; still have them taped on VHS  - ah good times!)

looking to the future: I will be attending the Rock or Bust kickoff concert in Holland in May. Perhaps I could try to make a bootleg of my own this time around. Sadly without Mal and Phil :-S 

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.