Forum

Forum

Aussie legends of music

Hawksboy
Member #23,988

Num Posts: 135

gday, purchased my acdc stamps today. Australia Post released a set of stamps on 10 aussie music legends (some are debatable... eg. kylie!). though i might as well get it, seeing as though im not making a loss - $6 worth of stamps for $6. could become a collectable item later on, ha ha! i believe Australia Post released AC/DC stamps 10+ years ago, but they were probably better than these ones - i think they were IALWTTT(IYWRR) ones. this one only has back in black on em. you can buy them online if youre interested! AC/DC booklet 10 x 60c
travishayes89
Member #8,722

Num Posts: 1,131

You know, it seems like outside Australia, exposure of Australian music is very limited. AC/DC were technically not full blooded Aussies (three Scottish born immigrants, two on guitar, one on vocals, an English musician, a north English singer, and an Australian drummer). Outside of that one Men At Work song (and it was used in Crocodile Dundee In LA, so that tells you where I heard it first), INXS, and Olivia Newton-John (who's more than just a singer), and Kylie Minogue (don't know where I heard her name from now), I don't know any of them. Typically US radio is filled with mostly American (and some Canadian born...Bieber, Celine Dion, Shania Twain, all Canadian) singers. Most of the "imported" music comes from England (Stones, Clapton, Queen). I doubt it will ever be passed, but I think Back In Black is the biggest Australian album. Also, while kinda template based, at least the Australian postal service pays tribute to the country's music legends. I think we've had Elvis stamps, but they are usually in limited runs. Mainly our "appreciation" stamps are used on non-music people.
Hawksboy
Member #23,988

Yea well that probably doesn't really surprise me. Australia haven't really produced any other BIG bands that have gone international other than AC/DC. And as you said, AC/DC aren't really Aussie (apart from Phil and some of the past members). We get the same shit that you get over in the States on the radio over here. It's shit and I hate the way modern 'music' is...all computerised shit. But yeah, Men at Work and INXS were/are pretty big here. One of the perhaps better known current bands from Aus is Wolfmother. Personally I think they're pretty good, and they supported AC/DC when they toured here in '10. They are one of the only 'real' modern bands, who don't use computers to make their 'music'. Cold Chisel (Jimmy Barnes was the front man) is another big one over here, but I think Australia was basically as far as they got (success wise) Also, one of the other reasons why you might not have heard some Aussie stuff is because, like you mentioned, Kylie and Olivia Newton John etc. - are all girl shit! It's not really the kind of stuff and I'm sure most of the people on this site wouldn't listen to either. But besides, I think British music is best: (most of) AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy and Black Sabbath etc. Anyway, yea, I suppose Australia likes to take pride in their countries successful musicians, and I think it's pretty cool that they made these stamps ;)
travishayes89
Member #8,722

Num Posts: 1,131

Wait, forgot about Jet, but they are no more...
Hawksboy
Member #23,988

yea, well they weren't too bad!

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.