Forum

Forum

Help with conversion please?

Hells Death
Member #24,593

Num Posts: 331

I have a concert from 1976 in .avi format and I was wondering if the format will be able to convert into a lossless audio? I know some files are lossy video, but is the audio is a lossy video also lossy?? Thanks for any help!!
nitroangus23
Member #22,835

Num Posts: 1,486

You can't. Avi. is a lossy format. You can't make anything that isn't lossless, even video. The sound is most likely encoded at like 160 Kbps mp3, Avi.
nitroangus23
Member #22,835

Now, if it were a DVD file (.vob) Then yes, you could convert that into a lossless file. (Although technically, DVD's aren't truly lossless encoded to begin with,close,but not truly lossless. Blu Rays are however.)
BrianJohnson888
Member #1,588

Num Posts: 307

Actually Flick, a DVD can contain lossless audio. PCM encoding is a form of lossless audio, and is present on some DVDs, and many blu-ray movies. Difference being that DVDs generally only have 2.0 stereo PCM, while blu-ray is large enough to contain a 5.1 surround PCM.
nitroangus23
Member #22,835

Well, you learn somethin' every day :) lol
Hells Death
Member #24,593

Num Posts: 331

Alright, oh well.... Thanks guys
travishayes89
Member #8,722

Num Posts: 1,131

Yeah, most AVIs contain mp3 audio (as do most mp4 videos with AAC audio). I think it's an extremely remote configuration possibility (due to the container nature of AVI, you can really put most any video format / audio format configuration into an AVI file) that you could have WAV/FLAC/whatever as the audio track. It's just not that common, since most encoders use, by default, mp3 audio.

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.